|Title||Untitled (skull and crossbones)|
|Artist||Ravalli, Fr. Anthony, S.J. (1812-1884)|
|Dimensions||W-10.5 D-6 inches|
Father Anthony Ravalli (1812-1884) a Jesuit, came to St. Mary's (Stevensville) in the spring of 1845. This mission to the Flathead was closed and sold to Major Owen, John in 1850. A new mission was opened at St. Ignatius south of Flathead Lake in 1854. Ravalli returned to the Bitterroot and reopened St. Mary's in 1866.
Sculpture of a Skull and crossbones painted white, made by Fr. Anthony Ravalli. One femur is carved in one piece, the other is in two parts. A 4" diameter flat circle of wood is attached to the bones to provide a base for the skull. A wooden peg extends 1" for the skull to rest on. The skull has a movable lower jaw with 8 carved teeth. The upper jaw has 10 teeth. There are spaces between some to indicate missing teeth. A 2" peg extends downward from the center which fits into a corresponding hole in the base. The jaw is attached with small screws.