|Title||HISTORY OF MONTANA - TRANSPORTATION, THE|
|Artist||Beauchamp, John W. "Jack" (1906-1957)|
|Dimensions||H-68 W-171.5 inches|
This is one of a series of murals collectively titled "The History of Montana." These murals were commissioned by saloon manager Kenny Egan for his Mint Cigar Store and Tavern which was located at 20-1/2 North Main Street in downtown Helena. The murals were removed from the walls of the Mint in 1960, prior to that building's demolition. The paintings were originally loaned to MHS by members of the Connors Family, and then donated to the Society in 1981.
This mural depicts scenes and figures of early Montana "frontier justice." This includes (roughly from left to right): a man on horseback; a wagon train; a stagecoach driver and shotgun-rider; two miners, one of whom is holding a broadside which reads: "HO! For the Yellowstone / and gold regions / Steamer Rose;" American Indians on horseback, pulling travois; two men walking with heavy bundles on their backs; a stevedore moving crates, one of which is marked "T. C. Power / Ft. Benton, M.T;" a steamboat pilot; American Indians with guns; a soldier; a surveyor with transit; a locomotive; railroad workers; and a man watching a herd of buffalo.
Running across the entire mural, the distant background is comprised of a range of tree-less, grass-covered mountains. There is also a steamboat--which bears a large "P" between the smokestacks--on the river in the distant background.